For a 3.5 – 4 litre slow cooker
The velvety smooth flavour of pumpkin and the rich, almost fruity tones of capsicum are perfectly complementary to each other in this dish. The tomato and coriander salsa — with its slight hint of lime — is a fresh and vibrant accompaniment.
What you’ll need
- 1 onion, diced
- 1kg pumpkin, peeled and cut into 2cm pieces
- 2 red capsicums, seeded and cut into 2cm pieces
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 long red chillies, sliced
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- Juice of 1 lime
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 teaspoons paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato sauce
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2 teaspoons cornflour mixed to a paste with 1 ½ tablespoons cold water (optional)
- Steamed rice, to serve
- ¾ cup plain yoghurt, to serve
Tomato and Coriander Salsa
- 2 ripe red tomatoes, diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander
- ½ small red onion, finely diced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons lime juice
- ½ teaspoon finely grated lime zest
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
For the stew
To make the stew, place all the ingredients except the cornflour paste, rice and yoghurt into the slow cooker and stir to combine. Cover and cook on High for 3–4 hours or Low for 7–8 hours or until the pumpkin is tender.
If the sauce is a little runny, remove the lid and turn the cooker to High for 10 minutes, then stir in some or all of the cornflour paste to thicken. Cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes more, adding salt and pepper to taste.
Make the salsa and serve
To make the tomato and coriander salsa, place all of the ingredients in a bowl and mix well to combine.
Serve the stew over steamed rice, topped with a dollop of yoghurt and a spoonful of the salsa.
This is an extract from Ultimate Slow Cooker by Sally Wise, ($29. 95, ABC Books). .