What you will need
- 10g butter, plus extra, for greasing
- 120ml crème fraîche or thick cream
- 250g smoked trout fillets, flaked into
- 3-4cm pieces
- 6 free-range eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tbs chopped dill
- 1 tbs finely chopped chives
- Toast soldiers, to serve
‘Coddle’ means to cook very slowly, just below boiling point, and results in a gentle melding of flavours.
Preheat oven to 190˚C. Butter 6, shallow 1-cup capacity ovenproof dishes then place in a large roasting pan. Spoon 1 tbs cream into each dish then top with trout pieces. Carefully break an egg over trout in each dish. Scatter with herbs and top each with
a small piece of butter.
Pour water into roasting pan until it comes one-third of the way up sides of dishes. Cover with foil and bake for 12 minutes, or until whites are set but yolks are still runny. Serve with toast.