This convivial meal is ideal for summer entertaining as everything can be pre-prepared and stored in the refrigerator! Imagine a bowl of garlicky aioli surrounded by a legion of cooked and raw vegetables, some steamed or grilled fish, olives, and, of course, good bread.
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled, crushed
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1¼ cups olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped tarragon
- 4 kipfler potatoes, scrubbed
- 200g green beans, trimmed
- 8 slices sourdough
- Olive oil cooking spray
- Extra 2 garlic cloves, peeled, halved
- 40g butter
- 4 x 100g pieces white fish, such as flathead, snapper or blue-eye trevalla
- ½ cup olives
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, peeled, halved
- 12 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 8 radishes, halved
- 4 marinated artichoke halves
- 12 baby (Dutch) carrots, peeled
- Extra olive oil, to garnish
Step by step
To make aioli, place crushed garlic, egg yolks, vinegar and mustard in a food processor and process until frothy and combined. With motor running, add oil in a thin, steady stream until mixture thickens and resembles mayonnaise. Transfer to a bowl and stir in tarragon. Season to taste with sea salt and white pepper. Cover surface of aioli with plastic wrap and store in refrigerator until required.
Place potatoes in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to boil over a high heat. Simmer for 10 minutes or until tender. Using a slotted spoon, transfer potatoes to a colander to cool, then cut in half lengthways. Blanch beans in boiling water for 2 minutes
or until bright green and tender crisp. Drain and refresh in cold water. Cool.
Heat a chargrill pan over a high heat. Spray sourdough with oil and rub with extra garlic. Chargrill for 3 minutes each side or until toasted. Cut in half.
Melt butter in a frying pan over a medium-high heat. Season fish with salt and pepper. Cook fish for 3 minutes each side or until golden and cooked.
Arrange aioli, fish, olives, eggs and vegetables on a large platter. Drizzle with extra olive oil and season with pepper. Serve with toasted sourdough.