With raspberries and cream spilling over its edges and an oversized bloom atop, this tall beauty looks as delicious as it tastes.
What you will need:
- 1¼ cups plain flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup caster sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthways, seeds scraped
- ¹⁄3 cup milk, lukewarm
- 50g unsalted butter, melted, cooled
- 300ml thickened cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar, sifted
- Extra icing sugar, to dust
- Fresh flower, to decorate
- Raspberry filling
- 2 x 125g punnets fresh raspberries
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar
Step by step:
To make the vanilla cake:
1. Preheat oven to 175°C. Grease two deep 15cm round cake pans and dust with flour. Sift combined flour, baking powder and salt twice. Using an electric mixer, beat eggs, caster sugar and vanilla seeds for 7–8 minutes or until thick and pale. Using a large metal spoon, gently fold in lukewarm milk and cooled melted butter. Gently fold in flour mixture. Spoon mixture between prepared pans. Bake for 25–30 minutes or until cakes spring back when lightly touched. Set aside in pans for 10 minutes, then turn onto wire racks to cool.
To make filling:
2. Process raspberries and icing sugar in a food processor for 30 seconds or until just crushed.
3. Using an electric mixer, beat cream, vanilla essence and icing sugar until firm peaks form.
4. Using a serrated knife, cut cakes in half horizontally. Place one cake layer on a cake stand or serving plate. Top with a third of cream, then spoon over a third of crushed raspberries. Repeat with remaining cake layers, cream and crushed raspberries, finishing with the fourth cake layer. Dust with extra icing sugar and decorate with a fresh flower.