What you will need
- 3 cups (600g) sticky rice*
- 1.5L (6 cups) water
- 1L (4 cups) coconut milk
- 11/2 cups (315g) caster sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup (55g) sesame seeds
- 6 monkey bananas, peeled, cut in half lengthways
- 1 mango, cheeks removed, peeled, sliced lengthways
* Sticky or glutinous rice is a short-grain rice that’s sticky when cooked. It’s available in the Asian section of major supermarkets.
Soak and steam
Place rice and water in a bowl. Set aside for 4 hours or overnight to soak. Drain well. Line a large bamboo steamer with a clean damp tea towel. Place over a wok of simmering water. Place rice in steamer and steam, covered, for 20 minutes or until tender. Transfer to a medium bowl and cover with a tea towel to keep warm.
Combine and cook
Meanwhile, combine coconut milk, sugar and salt in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until sugar dissolves and milk is warm. Reserve one-third of coconut milk mixture. Pour remaining over rice and stir to combine. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside for 10 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
Sprinkle sesame and serve
Meanwhile, place sesame seeds in a frying pan over medium heat and cook, stirring, for 11/2 minutes or until toasted. Spoon rice among bowls. Drizzle with reserved coconut milk. Serve with banana and mango, sprinkled with sesame seeds.