What you will need
- 1 cup (200g) tapioca pearls
- 400g can coconut milk
- 1 cup (250ml) water
- 1/2 cup (80g) finely chopped palm sugar
- 2 pandan leaves, tied into a knot
- 3 just ripe bananas, peeled, thickly sliced
- 2 tbs fi nely grated dark palm sugar*
- 1 tbs water, extra
- 1 tbs sesame seeds
- 1 mango, peeled, thinly sliced, to serve
- 1/2 ripe pineapple, peeled, thinly sliced, to serve
* Palm sugar is made from the sugary sap of the palmyra or date palm, and is renowned for its complex, caramel flavour. It ranges in colour from light to very dark, which has a more fragrant, smoky flavour.
Place the tapioca in a large bowl and cover with cold water. Set aside for 2 hours to soak. Strain through a fine sieve. Cook in a large saucepan of boiling water for 10 minutes or until opaque. Drain well.
Meanwhile, combine the coconut milk, water, sugar and pandan leaves in a large saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until sugar dissolves and mixture is heated through. Add the tapioca and gently stir to combine. Remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly. Add the banana and transfer to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Place in the fridge to chill.
Combine the dark palm sugar and water in a small frying pan over high heat. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until sugar dissolves. Add the sesame seeds and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until syrup thickens.
Remove and discard the pandan leaves from tapioca. Spoon the tapioca among serving bowls. Serve topped with mango and pineapple slices and drizzle with sesame syrup.