Looking for a fridge for a small or awkwardly shaped kitchen? You can now find models to suit just about any kitchen space, whether it’s under the counter, into a narrow alcove, or even built into the cupboards.
First assess your needs by asking yourself:
- How much refrigerated and freezer storage do you actually need? Avoid buying a fridge that’s larger than you require, as it will only take up more space and cost more to run.
- Where will the fridge go, and will there still be room to move around when the door is open? Take your measurements along when you go shopping, noting the depth of the cavity too as it varies between models.
Then think about the features that will be the most useful, for example:
- Are the shelves adjustable so that you can move things around?
- Is the water and ice dispenser built into the door so that it doesn’t take up any internal shelf space?
- Are the doors reversible so that you can open them the other way around if necessary?
- Are you comfortable bending down to reach inside the fridge? If not, you might be better off with a fridge drawer that’s fitted into an easy-to-reach spot within your cabinetry.
Small fridges come in different styles, including:
Starting from as little as 50 litres in storage capacity, these are perfect for under the benchtop, but might not come with a freezer.
These are larger than bar fridges, but will still fit under most benchtops and may come with a full width freezer.
Such as ’s slender FAB28 or ’s WTM3300WB, which will fit into small cavities while still offering a decent amount of refrigerated storage.
Pull out refrigerated drawers, such as ’s Izona CoolDrawer, can be fitted just about anywhere in the kitchen.
Ideal if you only have refrigerated items to store in the kitchen, and have a separate freezer elsewhere.
These blend in seamlessly with your cabinetry so that the fridge doesn’t visually clutter up the kitchen.
Side By Side
Plenty of storage space, but with narrow-opening doors that won’t obstruct people walking through the kitchen.