The balcony, a regular rendezvous point in Shakespearean plays and fairytales alike, is a valuable asset to the home. And while we're not answering cries of "Let down your hair!", the balcony is a prime spot to enjoy a cuppa, read a book or simply take a break from toiling away in our home offices. Click through for our 19 balcony decorating ideas and create a tiny space that's big on style.
Image courtesy of
1. For those with tiny apartments, a balcony is excellent real estate to develop an urban garden. Line up your finest succulents to enjoy the sun. Image courtesy of
2. Seize that opportunity for natural light and incorporate your balcony into your home office. Fact: studies show that working in daylight, rather than artificial lighting, actually improves productivity! Image courtesy of
3. Keep it minimal by pairing some simple furniture with low-maintenance house plants. Can you ever go wrong with Scandi style? Image courtesy of
4. Lay low by ditching furniture and relaxing on your balcony floor. Source some stylish cushions (we recommend Target's new and super affordable Winterful collection) and find warm blankets to cuddle up with on cooler nights. Image courtesy of
5. Group your house plants together for a more verdant balcony. Whip out some balcony planters, plant stands and small step ladders to vary the height between your saplings and blooms. Image courtesy of
6. Style your balcony as an intimate entertaining space by arranging a couple comfortable chairs around a coffee table. Fluffy throws a must. Image courtesy of
7. Compose a bold colour palette with your cushions, to combat weary winter blues. As the days become shorter, light up a few scented candles to relax on your balcony. Image courtesy of
8. Choose furniture that can add bright colour accents. This table set marries blues and whites for an air of calm. Image courtesy of
9. While we're not all living it up in Marrakech, channel the Moroccan riad's charms by introducing oversized floor cushions and oil lamps to the balcony. Image courtesy of .
10. Hang curtains to shade your balcony from the sun. Contrast the colours of your drapery against your home's exterior. Image courtesy of
11. Consider creating a canopy and drape curtains around a plush balcony daybed. We may never be royals, but we can still live like royalty. Image courtesy of .
12. String up some fairy lights around your balcony reading nook, and keep turning the pages from daylight to dark. Image courtesy of .
13. Think laterally when it comes to the layout of your balcony. While many of us will position our sofas to face outwards, arranging your seating against the balcony will allow for more space. Image courtesy of
14. If you're blessed with more balcony space, bring a table outdoors to style an alfresco dining area. Image courtesy of
15. Nautical stripes are a timeless touch to your balcony. If you're not eager to redecorate constantly, choose a classic pattern that'll remain on-trend no matter the year. Image courtesy of
16. Don't have enough room for a full table? No worries. This drop-leaf table provides ample space for outdoor dining, without taking up too much space on the balcony. Image courtesy of .
17. Every balcony needs a place to relax. This hanging chair delivers on function but doesn't take up too much space - essential when you don't have much to work with! Image courtesy of
18. If your balcony opens directly into your bedroom, separate the space visually with an elegant curtain, like this one. Image courtesy of
19. If space is at a premium, consider a vertical garden, like this one here. All you need is a wall! Image courtesy of