Six ways to make your garden more sustainable
- Recycle plastic pots – the retail nursery may take them back, some recyclers also accept pots, or wash and sterilise them before replanting them with fresh plants.
- Propagate your own plants from seed, cutting or by dividing existing plants.
- Return all waste material to the garden either as compost or mulch.
- Use water permeable surfaces such as gravel to allow water to soak into soil.
- Use recycled materials for garden construction and mulches (such as recycled glass mulch).
- Repair and maintain garden furniture rather than throw it out.