Treat your abode to a facelift and have the neighbours rubbernecking in no time. Words Emma Markezic
1. Coloured front door. The winner of the best cost to wow ratio goes to… the coloured front door! Not only is an impressive addition to your home, it makes it much easier to wrangle guests when you can say, “We’re the house with the salmon coloured door.” Image via
2. Dramatic letterbox. Think of a dramatic letterbox as the glint in the eye of a handsome stranger – it’s that little extra zing you didn’t expect. Image via
3. Jazzy house numbers. Numbers needn’t be boring – investing in oversized or custom-made house numbers is like giving your house a bespoke bowtie. Image via
4. Statement garage door. If your garage is front-facing, then a garage door with a little extra flair will not only up your street appeal but your bottom dollar come appraisal time too. Image via
5. Welcome mat. An oldie but a goodie, the classic welcome mat gives that little bit of warmth to visitors knocking on your door. Look for fun and personalised versions on Etsy (they make a great wedding or house warming present too).
6. Outdoor lighting. Investing in some alfresco illumination not only adds curb side charm, it also comes with the added benefit of extra security for your home and contents. Solar powered lights are also free to run. Image via
7. Climbing plants. Encouraging a bougainvillea or jasmine to make itself at home on your home is a sure-fire way to make a statement. This one takes patience as it will be several years before you see the fruits of your labour, but once it takes hold, you’ve got a living, breathing piece of art. Image via
8. Large-scale pots. Flank your front door with mammoth pots that make an impact. They can take an entrance from sterile to stunning with the addition of a few choice shrubs. Mother-in-law’s tongue and elephant ear plants are both excellent choices. Image via
9. Adding some cladding. With rendering starting to date, why not opt for some timber cladding. You don’t need to wrap the whole either – choose a section to feature and save some coin. While it looks impressive from the start, it will only get better with age.