With more and more of us living in an urban environment, it’s important to make the most of our outdoor spaces to create an enjoyable and functional area, and the perfect getaway from the everyday.
1. First decide what the area is going to be used for, whether that’s an entertainer’s paradise, a tranquil retreat or a kids play area. This will help you plan and decide how to use the space and what plants to fill it with. Ask yourself questions like, will I need shade, privacy or plenty of sun? Then choose products which are both functional and beautiful — a pretty vine which bears fruit or a shade plant which can double up as a privacy screen.
2. If you’re re-vamping your outdoor space, it’s a good idea to de-clutter first. Only keep the plants, pots and furniture which contribute towards making your space the perfect outdoor sanctuary, and don’t cram things in as it will only make your space look smaller.
3. If using paving within a small backyard, be sure to keep the design simple and free of strong geometrical designs which can often make a space seem smaller.
4. Vertical gardens, wall pots and hanging baskets are perfect for apartment balconies. They take up limited space and can transform a dull wall or area into a vibrant centerpiece. Alternatively, terraced shelving holding an array of plant pots is also an effective use of space.
5. Remember that it doesn’t take a lot to build a beautiful outdoor space — it’s about choosing the right things.