The topic of sofa cushions is a controversial one in many households, with many people dismissing them as unnecessary items. However, any decorator will tell you that the cushions on your sofa make or break the style of your room.
Framing your sofa with two square cushions at either end is the perfect place to start. You can then build on this by adding various shapes and sizes. A rectangular lumbar cushion in the middle of the sofa is a good option for adding pattern and mixing up the shapes.
Cushion shapes are quite standardised. Below are some cushion combinations that work well on a sofa.
- Two 45 × 45 cm (18 × 18 in) cushions
- Four 45 × 45 cm (18 × 18 in) cushions
- Two 45 × 45 cm (18 × 18 in) + one 35 × 65 cm (14 × 25 in) cushion
- Two 55 × 55 cm (22 × 22 in) cushions
- Two 55 × 55 cm (22 × 22 in) + two 45 × 45 cm (18 × 18 in) cushions
Always go up a size when buying feather inserts as the cushions will be fuller and fluffier for much longer. Avoid polyester-filled inserts — they will be as flat as pancakes in no time and aren’t very comfortable to snuggle into.
Copy and illustrations from by Emma Blomfield (Hardie Grant), $29.99