Be prepared to feel like a rock-star in the kitchen with this denim apron. (Try adjusting the size for your little rock-star helpers.)
- 1.5m x 140cm wide denim fabric
- Sewing thread to match
- Tape measure or long ruler
- Dressmaker’s pencil or chalk
- Fabric scissors
- Overlocker (optional)
- Sewing machine
- Iron and Ironing board
[skill level: medium]
Some craft skills required.
- Lay denim out on a flat surface with right
side of fabric facing down.
- Measure, mark and cut a rectangle measuring
90.5cm x 33cm (see diagram on page 119) for the
apron front. Fold the remaining fabric in half
with right sides together.
- Measure and mark the shape of the side
pieces. The side pieces measure 42cm wide
x 68.5cm high along one edge, and 58.5cm high
along the other edge. Cut through both layers
of the fabric at once to get 2 side pieces that
are the reverse of each other. Refer to the
diagram on page 119.
- Measure and mark a rectangle 22cm wide
x 127cm long. Cut through both layers of the
fabric at once to get 2 strap pieces.
- Overlock around the edges of all 5 pieces,
or use a zigzag stitch on a sewing machine,
to prevent fraying.
- Lay the apron front right-side up on a flat
surface. Lay one of the side pieces on top,
right-side down, with the bottom edges
level and the longest side edge matching
the side of the front piece. Pin and sew a 1cm
seam to join the two pieces.
- Open out the apron and repeat to attach
the other side piece. Press the seams open.
- To complete the body of the apron, fold over
a 1cm hem around all of the edges and top stitch
right around the outside of the apron.
- Fold a strap piece in half lengthways with
wrong sides facing and press with an iron. Open
out the strap and fold both of the long edges into
the centre fold, then refold on the pressed fold.
You should now have a strap that is made of four
layers of fabric and measures a quarter of its
original width. Pin the open edges together
and top stitch. Repeat for the other strap.
- To attach the straps to the apron, pin one
end of each strap to the inside of the top corners
of the apron front and stitch in place.
- Cross the straps over each other and pin
to the back corners of the apron side pieces.
- Try the apron on to make sure the straps
are not twisted and adjust the strap length,
if necessary, before sewing the ends in place.