Cleaning guru reveals the top 5 laundry myths and shows you how to avoid making unnecessary (and costly) mistakes!
1. Myth: Double washing (or triple-washing) will help you get your clothes cleaner. Myth Buster: Treating clothes properly the first time will make your clothes come out fresher without needing to spend time and electricity on running two or more washes.
2. Myth: Ironing is the best way to get creases out of clothing. Myth Buster: You don’t need to iron! Instead, use 1 teaspoon of lavender oil per litre of water in a spray bottle, lightly mist it over the clothes and then place the garments on. By the time you hit your front door, the creases will have dropped out as lavender oil is a fibre relaxant.
3. Myth: For stains, you need to soak your clothes overnight to get the best results. Myth Buster: There is no need to soak your clothes overnight for spot stains. Instead, you can make a paste, spread this directly over the stain and put your washing in the machine within 5 minutes.
Photographer: Marnie Hawson
4. Myth: More detergent makes clothes cleaner. Myth Buster: Overloading clothes with detergent just impacts the fibres which attracts dirt, makes clothes stiff and turns whites grey over time.
5. Myth: Some stains are impossible remove. Myth Buster: There is no such thing as an irremovable stain. Every stain has a removal solution and it doesn’t need to take hours of time and effort. Learn to understand what stains are and how to remove each specific one. Try using an online tool such Vanish NapiSan's .