Wondering what to do with that vintage plate that doesn’t match the others but is too pretty to discard? Try this charming DIY wall decoration to add a sweet touch to your living room – personalise the project by displaying your plate with your choice of paper and ribbon colours.
What you will need:
- Vintage plate
- Profile photograph (use your own or find one online by searching ‘silhouette portrait’)
- Tracing paper and pencil
- Chalkboard self-adhesive paper (available from art and craft stores and online)
- Small paper scissors or craft knife and cutting mat
- Plate-hanging wires (available from hardware stores)
Step by step:
1. To make the silhouette plate, take profile photographs of your family members or pets – or search for a silhouette portrait online – and print out at a suitable size to fit on the central area of the plate you have selected. Cut out the profile, or trace with tracing paper and cut out a template with small scissors (this helps to preserve details in the image).
2. Place the template on a piece of chalkboard paper. Cut around the silhouette using small paper scissors or a craft knife and cutting mat. Discard the template. Peel off the backing paper and stick the silhouette onto a clean, dry plate.
3. Clip a plate-hanging wire behind the plate, tie a bow with matching ribbon and hang on a wall.