Combing and conditioning are two key steps towards clean, lice-free hair. Infestation often occurs because parents are unaware that eggs and lice have been transferred to their child’s head. Regular combing with conditioner and a fine-toothed comb will help to manage breakouts.
What you will need
- Coconut oil – either liquid or solid form (we’ve used organic oil in solid form and followed package’s instructions on melting)
- Lavender, lemon and tea-tree essential oils (available from health food stores)
- Spray bottle
- Fine toothed comb (available from the chemist)
How to make the leave-in spray treatment for preventing lice
1. Place 250ml of coconut oil in a clean spray bottle.
2. Once your oil is cool, add five drops each of lavender, tea-tree and lemon essential oils. You can add other oils if you wish: Orange or grapefruit can be substituted for lemon. Rosemary and peppermint oil are also good additions.
3. Shake well to mix, and store in a cool, dry place. This spray is safe to use on a daily basis. For best results, comb through damp hair after the evening bath and spray on dry hair before school.