Recipe by Argentinean-born Mauro Callegari of in Gembrook, Dandenong Ranges.
- 2kg beef ribs, in one piece
- 2 teaspoons sea salt flakes
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1½ teaspoons dried chilli flakes
- ½ garlic bulb (about 2–4 garlic cloves)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ bunch flat-leaf parsley, leaves picked, finely chopped
- ½ bunch oregano, leaves picked, finely chopped
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespooon white wine vinegar
- 1 lemon, rind finely grated
- pinch of dried chilli flakes
Preheat oven to 120°C. Place beef ribs in a roasting pan. Sprinkle sea salt flakes, dried oregano and chilli flakes over ribs and rub into meat. Pour ¾ cup water into pan around ribs. Cover roasting pan tightly with foil. Roast for 6 hours or until browned and very tender. Cool.
To make provenzal dressing, preheat oven to 200°C. Place garlic on a baking tray and drizzle with olive oil. Roast for 30 minutes or until soft. Cool. Squeeze roasted garlic from cloves into a bowl. Add parsley, oregano, extra virgin olive oil, vinegar, lemon rind and chilli flakes. Season with sea salt flakes and stir until well combined.
Remove foil from roasting pan containing ribs. Roast for 15 minutes or until top of ribs is dry. Transfer to a serving plate. Spoon provenzal dressing over ribs and serve.