Showing your loved one that you love them is a good idea, no matter the day — but you don’t think you need to spend a fortune to do it. Here are seven romantic ideas that cost hardly anything at all.
1. Show your partner just how much they mean to you with a romantic (fake) tattoo. Buy some temporary tattoo letters from a two-dollar shop (or try a website like ).
2. Write a love letter. In your own handwriting. On proper stationery. Don’t underestimate the power of something so simple — a love letter from the heart is to be treasured.
3. Make gingerbread, then use to spell out messages for your lover.
4. Make a using clues from your relationship. For bonus points, tape it over the regular crossword in the newspaper, and let your loved on stumble upon it…
5. Forgot it was Valentine’s Day until, like… the day? Whip up this tried-and-tested orange and almond cake for an afternoon treat.
6. Leave your loved one a with a personalised note inside.